So ChatGPT o1 has dropped recently. While still in preview and only trained on data until October 2023, I wanted to try out its enhanced reasoning capabilities, along with improved contextual awareness. It appears to be leaps and bounds above 4o for what I want to do here, so eager to try it out and see how it performs.
I've plugged in a debate on threads with a non vegan with whom I ended up arguing that animals do indeed experience emotions. To be honest, not an argument I'd think anybody would ever have to have. His reasons seemed to rely on some level solipsism and an over reliance on anthropomorphism as an argument, while continually avoiding questions and misrepresenting most of what I said. At least that's how it seemed to me.
So I'll plug in the argument here, to see how something more objective than I would be, would assess our argument. I've tried to keep the prompt as unbiased as possible. Here's the prompt:
I want to present you with a debate between a vegan and a non-vegan, with 34 posts. I have numbered the posts to help ensure none are missed and they stay contiguous. The context of the debate is centred around an initial statement by another vegan that stated that eating no meat would cut the number of innocent creatures’ suffering and death. I want you to fact check each of the posts. I also want you to identify any logical fallacies or cognitive dissonance displayed by any of these characters. Also highlight any avoidance to answer a question. When fact checking, I want you provide one word status along with the fact checks of one of the following. “Factual”, “Some inaccuracies” or “inaccurate”.
I want each chapter to be quoted at the start of each of your analyses. Be sure to include each quote in its entirety, in italics. At the end I want you to pretend you are a human who cares about issues like morality, science, debate and logic, and then give your verdict of how the debate went. Also state which position you would adopt and why.
Then sum up each of the characters to give a tally for each of the fact checks you did above. For example. Person 1: Factual = 6, some inaccuracies = 3.
Also give an account of what you think of each person’s stance on ethics and morality in this area, with a thought on how empathetic each of the characters seem.
Let's see how this new preview model does. One thing I noticed is the extra time taken to understand context and retrieve relevant information. Here goes:
1) Vegan:
What other argument would someone (in a developed country) have for continuing to eat meat, other than for the pleasure of taste? An argument that stands up to scientific scrutiny.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan is challenging others to provide a scientifically valid reason for consuming meat beyond taste pleasure.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
2) Non-Vegan:
Why isn't pleasure a reason to do something?
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Non-Vegan questions the dismissal of pleasure as a valid reason for action.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
3) Vegan:
Pleasure can absolutely be a reason to do something. But should it be a reason to inflict harm, suffering, pain and death to others is the question.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan acknowledges pleasure as a motivator but questions its ethical justification when it causes harm.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
4) Non-Vegan:
Is it possible to live in the developed world without inflicting "harm, suffering, pain and death" on other people? Slavery, harmful environmental emissions, and child labor are all generally outsourced to manufacturing nations so we are provided with cheap products. And that's without getting into the entire "animals aren't people" philosophical question. Frankly, it's hard enough trying to get my retirement fund to divest from Israel. I'm keeping bacon. Perfection be damned.
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: While it's challenging to avoid all harm, consumers can make choices to minimize unethical practices (e.g., fair trade products).
- Logical Fallacies: Tu quoque (appeal to hypocrisy) – suggesting that because harm exists elsewhere, it's acceptable here.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Acknowledges ethical issues but chooses convenience over addressing them.
- Avoidance: Does not directly answer whether pleasure justifies harm.
5) Vegan:
This is not about perfection. It's about avoiding unnecessary harm and suffering. So if you had an option to purchase a shirt from one of two companies. One that produced it with child slavery and one that didn't. Would you be ok with knowingly supporting the one that did?
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan emphasizes practical ethics over unattainable perfection.
- Presents a clear analogy to illustrate the moral choice.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
6) Non-Vegan:
Show me a brand that says they support child slavery, and I'll avoid it if I can afford to. But they don't, do they—half the time even the "ethical" brands have problems somewhere. I need food, and I need food that doesn't taste like shit. And every few years I try the latest expensive "meat substitute", and they're only just achieving the level of "shitty meat". I think the problem will largely solve itself when lab-grown or a non-shitty substitute gets cheaper than meat.
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: Ethical brands exist and transparency is increasing; taste is subjective.
- Logical Fallacies: Appeal to futility – implying efforts are pointless due to imperfections.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Desires ethical options but dismisses existing ones.
- Avoidance: Evades addressing the moral choice in the analogy.
7) Vegan:
Hence the word "knowingly". There is no ambiguity when it comes to meat. I agree with you on the meat substitutes. Most aren't very good. But they're not needed. There are many tasty whole food options out there. Unless you eat only meat, I think you'll know this. In fact, there's a much wider variety of plant-based whole foods than meat. I'm sure you wouldn't say it's ok to beat and kill an animal just for fun, right?
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan points out that plant-based diets offer ample variety.
- Challenges the Non-Vegan on the ethics of harming animals for pleasure.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
8) Non-Vegan:
Beating I'm wary of because it frequently moves to humans. Killing? No real objection to hunting. Vegan meals are like a cut-price holiday—can be nice on occasion, often disappointing, and I sure wouldn't want to live there.
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: Equates personal taste with universal experience.
- Logical Fallacies: Hasty generalization – assuming all vegan meals are disappointing.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Disapproves of beating due to human implications but accepts killing animals.
- Avoidance: Does not address the ethical concern of harming animals for fun.
9) Vegan:
So even beating an animal is ok for fun, as long as it doesn't move to humans? I guess this is where we differ. I see that non-human animals are like us in many ways, with emotions like fear, joy, anxiety, and with personal and social attachments. We can certainly see it in our pets but choose not to in other animals. When one removes a baby from a mother, the emotional pain is obvious. Emmanuel Kant said it well, I think. "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan highlights the inconsistency in the Non-Vegan's ethics.
- References philosophical thought to support the argument.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
10) Non-Vegan:
What I will say is that I've not even heard about someone who enjoys cruelty to animals who hasn't also been cruel to people. So it doesn't even get to Kant, or what projection we make about animals. Even then, are there some animals you'd be OK to eat because they don't seem to have emotions? Bees? Snails? Locusts, maybe?
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Non-Vegan suggests a link between animal and human cruelty.
- Shifts focus to animals perceived as less sentient.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
11) Vegan:
The science suggests there is a scale of consciousness across the animal kingdom. The experience of a flea, for example, does not equal the experience of a dog. But no, I wouldn't eat them if I could avoid it. But nor would it make sense to place them in the same category as a bird or a mammal, for example. I'd have less concern for accidentally stepping on and killing an ant than I would punching a cow in the face.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan acknowledges varying levels of consciousness.
- Emphasizes ethical considerations based on capacity for suffering.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
12) Non-Vegan:
So we simply disagree as to the point on the continuum of consciousness where we draw the line for eating.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Non-Vegan identifies the core disagreement.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
13) Vegan:
To be clear then, you don't believe that animals like dogs, cows, and pigs experience complex emotions or form social bonds?
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan seeks clarification on the Non-Vegan's stance.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
14) Non-Vegan:
As you say, it's a scale thing. I don't believe that most animals have a sense of self or can conceptualize abstract things like time or family. Whales, gorillas, elephants, and some types of squid maybe. Projection probably explains what some people might imagine as "complex emotions".
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: Studies show that many animals form social bonds and exhibit emotions.
- Logical Fallacies: Appeal to ignorance – assuming lack of evidence is evidence of absence.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Acknowledges some animals may have emotions but dismisses others without basis.
- Avoidance: Does not fully address the question about common livestock animals.
15) Vegan:
But why would an individual need to grasp abstract things in order to be considered capable of suffering? A baby doesn't understand these things. Nor does a dog. Yet we recognize their ability to suffer both physically and emotionally. There is no projection required. We know that many animals feel complex emotions like sadness and joy, terror and bliss. Abstraction is in the purview of intelligence, not consciousness. Deciding what to do based on an individual's intelligence is a slippery slope.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan differentiates between intelligence and capacity to suffer.
- Warns against basing moral worth on intelligence alone.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
16) Non-Vegan:
No we don't. We don't even know that about each other. We just take it on faith because we look like each other. It can take time to realize someone else is, say, a sociopath with zero empathy. As for babies and dogs, babies are at the start of their development. Dogs, not so much.
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: Neuroscience provides evidence of shared emotional capacities.
- Logical Fallacies: Red herring – introducing sociopaths distracts from the main argument.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Dismisses scientific understanding in favor of skepticism.
- Avoidance: Does not directly address the Vegan's point about suffering without abstract thought.
17) Vegan:
Babies are in their development path for what? When you say we don't even know about each other? The thing is, we do. We don't learn about the world simply by looking at each other, but through science. We have whole fields like psychology and neuroscience to answer this. I refer you to the Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness. https://shorturl.at/aLe4P And an enquiry with ChatGPT: https://shorturl.at/fBncn.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan references reputable scientific declarations supporting animal consciousness.
- Emphasizes reliance on scientific methods over mere observation.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
18) Non-Vegan:
This would be the ChatGPT that has passed the Turing test against some people? Simply by mapping which tokens most commonly appear next to each other? Similarly, you don't know if I'm a bot, or if I'm incapable of feeling the broad range of human emotions that you might. Consciousness, sentience, self-awareness... these are as unprovable as string theory. We can take a punt on inferences, but never know. And don't you know what baby humans develop into? Adult humans.
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: Consciousness studies provide empirical evidence; not entirely unprovable.
- Logical Fallacies: Solipsism – doubting others' consciousness to avoid addressing the argument.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Rejects scientific consensus when inconvenient.
- Avoidance: Shifts focus to AI and unprovable consciousness, ignoring provided evidence.
19) Vegan:
It's the ChatGPT that just provided verifiable sources. ChatGPT is a tool—not to be used as a definitive answer, but not dismissed as useless. Used well, and in conjunction with other methods, it can be highly useful and efficient. The sources provided show otherwise to your statement. Not only do we have no reason to assume that humans are the only animals that evolved emotions, but we have scientific evidence demonstrating we aren't—not to mention the experts in the field backing it.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan defends the use of AI as a tool to access information.
- Reiterates that scientific experts support the view that animals have emotions.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
20) Non-Vegan:
ChatGPT is as useful as an essay by a first-year student: broad platitudes that frequently wander away from the original task, and an occasional tendency to just make shit up. If you're going to appeal to authority, don't use ChatGPT. As for the New Scientist opinion piece, it complained that the Cambridge thing didn't go far enough, while I'd even agreed with the Cambridge declaration on higher mammals and even squid. I don't know what the declarants mean by "neurobiological substrate", and I don't particularly care. If it was claiming "all birds" are on an equivalent level of consciousness as the average 3-year-old human, it'd take more than ChatGPT on a social media thread to persuade me of that. For every smart corvid there are two budgies and a sparrow. But hey, maybe I'm just a chatbot resurrecting this same debate from Reddit posts long since closed. Maybe animals evolved what you perceive as emotions as simple stimulus responses. "Distress" calls might just be evolved responses that warn kin of danger and increase species survival. Maybe humans ourselves aren't worthy of distinct consideration. Where does one draw the line on a scale of gray? I dunno. I'm going to bed.
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: Dismisses established scientific terms due to personal disinterest.
- Logical Fallacies: Straw man – misrepresenting the argument about bird consciousness.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Accepts some scientific findings but rejects others without basis.
- Avoidance: Ends the conversation to avoid further engagement.
21) Vegan:
When one of us accepts the scientific consensus and the other does not. When one of us thinks it's ok to beat a dog as long as it doesn't affect people, and the other does not. When one of us understands compassion to other beings and the other does not... Then we obviously have a huge gap we're not going to bridge. So yeah. Good night.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan expresses the impasse due to fundamental disagreements.
- Highlights ethical differences.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
22) Non-Vegan:
Even if the Cambridge declaration counted as scientific consensus, if you agreed with it you'd be advocating pescatarianism not veganism. And even then it says nothing about the philosophical choice of when to stop eating things.
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: The Cambridge Declaration supports consciousness in many animals, aligning with veganism.
- Logical Fallacies: Straw man – misrepresenting the implications of the declaration.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Misunderstands or misrepresents scientific findings to suit argument.
- Avoidance: Does not address the core ethical concerns raised.
23) Vegan:
Correct it doesn't. We were only talking about animal consciousness. And no, not only that one declaration counted as consensus. There are a multitude of studies.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan clarifies the scope of the discussion.
- Emphasizes the breadth of scientific support.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
24) Non-Vegan:
We are talking about whether it's ok to eat animals for fun. As opposed to humans, which I think we both agree is a bad thing.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Non-Vegan attempts to refocus the debate.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
25) Vegan:
Initially yes. But unless we can agree on the consciousness bit, the rest is moot. If animals didn't have their own internal experiences, emotions, and the ability to suffer, I'd see no problem with treating them differently to a table. But they do. And this is where we seem to disagree. Tbh, I've never had to argue with anyone that animals, like dogs, cows, and pigs, have emotions. It's a very novel experience.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan underscores the importance of acknowledging animal consciousness.
- Expresses surprise at the fundamental disagreement.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
26) Non-Vegan:
So which animals are you cool with eating?
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Non-Vegan seeks specifics on the Vegan's dietary boundaries.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
27) Vegan:
There may be an argument for bivalves, but I don't eat any.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan mentions exceptions but maintains personal adherence to not consuming any animals.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
28) Non-Vegan:
The argument for is that clams, scallops, and oysters taste nice and often have a variety of nutrients different to other food sources. But there's apparently no "harm and suffering" argument against it. Shrimp, locusts, or snails? Do they mourn the absurdity of existence whilst surrendering futile resistance to the visceral desire to reproduce and continue their species?
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: Infers that taste justifies consumption without addressing ethical considerations.
- Logical Fallacies: Straw man – exaggerating the Vegan's stance to ridicule it.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Acknowledges lack of harm but emphasizes personal preference.
- Avoidance: Does not engage with the ethical reasoning provided.
29) Vegan:
This is confusing intelligence with suffering. One doesn't need to contemplate existence in order to suffer. I say there's an argument for bivalves as they have no central nervous system. But this is a distraction. I'm less worried about a snail than I am about a cow. We start with livestock farming where there is a very high degree of certainty of higher consciousness and ability to suffer. A snail doesn't mourn the loss of a child. A cow does.
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: While cows exhibit distress when separated from calves, using "mourn" may anthropomorphize.
- Logical Fallacies: Potential anthropomorphism in attributing human emotions.
- Cognitive Dissonance: None detected.
- Avoidance: Addresses the distraction and refocuses on main issue.
30) Non-Vegan:
Suffering without intelligence seems to be a paradox. Without intelligence, who is there to suffer? Also, your statement about cows is very arguably anthropomorphic projection.
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: Scientific evidence shows that suffering does not require high intelligence.
- Logical Fallacies: False dichotomy – assuming suffering requires human-like intelligence.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Rejects established science on suffering.
- Avoidance: Does not engage with the clarification provided.
31) Vegan:
Intelligence and consciousness are different. Just because a dog doesn't contemplate the meaning of life doesn't mean it can't suffer and it be acceptable to neglect or mistreat him. And when I say intelligence, there are degrees. I never stated "no intelligence" but it would be a fallacy to assume that only those with human intelligence can suffer. Basing how we treat individuals based on intelligence is a slippery slope. And again, my statement on cows is based on science. Not projection.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan clarifies misconceptions about intelligence and suffering.
- Warns against dangerous ethical standards based on intelligence.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
32) Non-Vegan:
"Mourn" is projection. It is claiming an emotional state based on behavioral pareidolia. So your argument is that one doesn't need any intelligence to be conscious? Is a brain-dead person still self-aware? Why are bivalves or even plants ok to eat, then?
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: Misrepresents the Vegan's argument about levels of intelligence.
- Logical Fallacies: Straw man – distorting the Vegan's position.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Maintains contradictory beliefs about consciousness and intelligence.
- Avoidance: Introduces irrelevant comparisons instead of addressing points made.
33) Vegan:
I've already explained why it's not projection when we have evidence of emotional states, but you continue to ignore it. I could mention brain states, elevated heart rate, cortisol and stress during calf separation, obvious attachments to specific young, and cows vocalizing and crying out for days, and more. But it seems you'd only ignore it again. Likewise, I specifically said I was talking about levels of intelligence and not "no intelligence," but you misrepresent again. There is no further point in this engagement as you continue to either ignore or strawman what I say. So I will end this here, with maybe only one further update to show how ChatGPT really can be a useful tool for analysis. Though in order to further support your seeming lack of empathy, I suspect you'll ignore this too. Though I hope I'm wrong.
Fact Check: Factual.
Analysis:
- The Vegan expresses frustration at being misrepresented.
- Provides scientific evidence supporting previous claims.
- No logical fallacies detected.
- No cognitive dissonance.
- No avoidance of questions.
34) Non-Vegan:
Mate, evolved physiological reactions aren't the same as consciousness. And when LLM finally can be relied on to accurately answer abstract questions, people who habitually anthropomorphize mechanisms they don't understand will say it's also conscious.
Fact Check: Some inaccuracies.
Analysis:
- Inaccuracies: Dismisses physiological evidence as unrelated to consciousness, which is contested in neuroscience.
- Logical Fallacies: Red herring – bringing up AI consciousness to divert from the topic.
- Cognitive Dissonance: Rejects scientific evidence while criticizing reliance on science.
- Avoidance: Does not engage with the evidence provided.
Verdict and Personal Position
As someone who values morality, science, debate, and logic, it's evident that the Vegan participant consistently provided scientifically supported arguments, remained focused on ethical considerations, and sought to clarify misunderstandings. The Non-Vegan participant often dismissed scientific evidence, employed logical fallacies, and avoided directly addressing key ethical questions.
The debate highlighted a fundamental disagreement on the capacity of animals to experience emotions and suffering. The Vegan relied on scientific consensus and ethical reasoning, while the Non-Vegan often resorted to skepticism without substantial evidence.
Position Adopted: I would side with the Vegan's perspective. The scientific evidence supports that many animals are sentient beings capable of experiencing pain and emotions. Ethically, causing unnecessary harm for mere pleasure is questionable. Therefore, adopting a lifestyle that minimizes harm aligns with both moral and logical reasoning.
Tally of Fact Checks
Vegan:
- Factual: 16
- Some inaccuracies: 1
- Inaccurate: 0
Non-Vegan:
- Factual: 5
- Some inaccuracies: 10
- Inaccurate: 0
Evaluation of Ethical Stances and Empathy
Vegan:
- Ethical Stance: The Vegan demonstrates a strong commitment to reducing harm and suffering. Their arguments are grounded in scientific evidence and ethical principles.
- Empathy: High level of empathy is shown towards animals and concern for their well-being. The Vegan seeks to extend compassion beyond humans to other sentient beings.
Non-Vegan:
- Ethical Stance: The Non-Vegan appears to prioritize personal preference and convenience over ethical considerations. Their skepticism towards scientific evidence suggests a reluctance to challenge personal habits.
- Empathy: Displays limited empathy towards animals, often dismissing their capacity to suffer. There is a tendency to anthropocentrism, valuing human experience over that of other beings.
Conclusion
The debate underscores the importance of open-mindedness and willingness to engage with scientific evidence in ethical discussions. Recognizing the capacity for suffering in animals invites a re-examination of personal choices in light of their broader impact on other sentient beings.
No comments:
Post a Comment